Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Comic Review: Stale N Mate

Hello Cadets, I know it's no excuse but I have been working a lot (just under 80 hours this week!) and I just don't get the time to sit and read right now. That being said I am going to keep my promise and release the first of a series of reviews of the various comics I've read the last few weeks. The first review heading your way is Stale N Mate from actor Shia LaBeouf.

First I would like to preface this with the fact that there are very few times, if ever, that I'll read or watch something and just rip it apart, aside from Munger Road (I'm still bitter about that one). I am a firm believer in constructive criticism because everyone has to start somewhere and there is nothing more heartbreaking than someone telling you that you are rubbish at something you love to do. That being said I would like to encourage anyone who really wants to succeed in their craft to take what people are telling you and run with it, use it to improve yourself and never give up.

That being said let's begin. Stale N Mate was a good first attempt and had a very interesting premise. The writing had a few flaws. When writing your story for the comic by hand always type it first and use spell check that way you haven't committed to run on sentences and spelling errors. Also never use shorthand such as w/, b/c, and so on because while you are working hard on this page it will come across as sloppy or lazy. Also try to avoid unnecessary jargon when dealing with laws, we all start out doing that sort of thing but as you go try to paraphrase, keep it simple without losing the meaning to keep it from losing the tone of the story because it will detract from what you are trying to do. Lastly there were some quirky things in the story that definitely were attention-getting and it's bold to not put it as a background easter egg of sorts. Personally I'm for it, do something different (if you read the comic you know I'm talking about the cat).

On to the artwork and again, everyone begins somewhere. The truth is I can tell you are using markers, more than likely Prismacolor because of the lines in the larger drawings. An easy way to get rid of that effect is to color in a circular motion, start from one edge and work your way across the area to make it a bit smoother looking. If you want to do subtle shading you can wait for it to dry and go over the shadowy areas again, the markers layer and it will make it have a little more depth. Lastly practice practice practice. There were some issues with proportion and poses and that's okay. Start out trying to draw poses mimicking other drawings in your own style to learn a bit more about how they should look, more natural looking positions for certain actions, et cetera. Lastly don't leave too much white space, even if it's a Minecraft-esque background you'll want to fill that space. I hear a lot of people do well with the grid system of drawing, there are hundreds of methods, try some out and see what works for you.

Overall this is a tough read but everyone has to work at their craft to get to the level they would like to be at. I look forward to seeing more books and seeing how he improves. Just to be clear, I do draw, I'm by no means a great artist but to all the artists out there, help others out, share words of wisdom or how you learned to draw the way you do because sometimes "try harder" isn't specific enough. I give kudos to anyone who at least tries, no matter the outcome.

That's all for today, please feel free to visit me on facebook at War Kitten Revue or twitter @WarKittenRevue. Also you can visit my youtube channel at War Kitten TV. I know this turned into a critique session but what can you do? Thanks for visiting, this is War Kitten signing off and informing you that "because I'm awesome" is not a valid answer to any question asked in an interview, even if it's totally true.

No comments:

Post a Comment